Food Safety Program and Licensing

Bristol Burlington Health District is responsible for licensing and regulating activities involving the preparation and service of food that is sold or given to the public within the Health District. This includes food service establishments, temporary events and itinerant vendors.

The CT General Assembly recently passed Regulations to adopt the 2022 Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Model Food Code). The new law began phasing in the FDA Food Code on July 1, 2017 and went into full effect on February 17, 2023, repealing the Connecticut Public Health Code (Sections 19-13-B40, B42, B48, and B49). The FDA Food Code is now fully effective in the state of Connecticut.

Click here for letter from the Director of Health

Adoption of FDA Model Food Code

Click here to view the FDA Model Food Code

FDA Food Code Inspection Form

Date Marking

Date Marking Example

Food Allergen Poster

Clean Up Procedures

Sanitizing Requirements

Form 1A: Conditional Employee Food Interview

Form 1B: Conditional Employee Food Reporting Agreement

Handwashing Sign

No Bare Hand Contact

Prevent Bare Hand Contact Poster

CFPM Testing Organizations

Applications and Requirements

* A “Temporary Food Service Event” is defined as a food service establishment that operates at a fixed location for a temporary period of time, including one day events and not to exceed 14 consecutive days. Temporary food service includes but is not limited to, the following: fairs, carnivals, public exhibitions, festivals, religious institution events and school functions.

Cottage Food Industry Law

As of October 1, 2018, Connecticut Public Act 18-141 Allows cottage food operations. A cottage food operation is one in which the production of specific non-potentially hazardous foods in residential kitchens is allowed provided certain regulations and laws are met.

Please be aware that cottage food operations are regulated and licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) and not local health departments or health districts. Please contact DCP directly if you have any questions.

For more information click on Cottage Food in Connecticut/ A Guide for Cottage Food Operators.


Effective July 1, 2018, Qualified Food Operators (QFOs) become known as Certified Food Protection Managers. Class II, III, & IV food establishments are required to have trained Certified Food Protection Managers. Current Certified Food Protection Managers (QFOs) will be required to renew expired certifications. 

Certified Food Protection Manager

Click on related sites for more information:

Employee Training